Keep Your Baby's Skin Soft, Smooth, and Healthy
Do babies need skincare products?
Babies have sensitive skin, so it can be important to use baby skin care products that are designed specifically for their delicate skin type. Baby lotions and powders can help to keep your baby's skin hydrated and soft, while also providing a barrier against nappy rash and other skin irritations.
Do I need to use different skincare products for my newborn?
Newborns have very sensitive skin, so you'll need to be extra careful about what skincare products you use on them. Choose mild, fragrance-free products that are designed specifically for babies' skin, and avoid using anything that's likely to irritate their skin. You should also avoid using any baby skincare product that contains alcohol, as this can dry out your baby's skin.
What types of lotions and baby products can you get?
There are a wide variety of baby lotions, powders, and baby toiletry sets available on the market that you can use in your baby's bath, after their bath, and when nappy changing.
When bathing your baby:
- Both baby soap and body wash can be used on babies, as long as they're mild and gentle formulas. However, soap is typically more drying than baby body wash, which is usually gentler and more moisturizing, making it a better choice for baby skincare.
- Baby shampoo is milder and less irritating than normal shampoo, as it's designed specifically for babies' sensitive skin. It's also tear-free, so it won't sting your baby's eyes if it gets in them.
- Baby bubble bath is a great way to help your baby relax, and it can also be used to clean their skin. Look for a mild, gentle bubble bath that's designed for babies, and add a small amount to running water when filling your baby's bath. Avoid using bubble bath on young infants, as it can irritate their skin.
After your baby's bath:
- To use baby lotion, simply apply it to your baby's skin after or whenever you feel their skin is dry. Gently massage it in until it's fully absorbed, and avoid any areas where your baby has open wounds or rashes. You don't need to use lotion on your baby every day, but you should use mild baby lotion whenever their skin feels dry.
- Baby oil is safe to use on your baby's skin, but you shouldn't use it too often as it can make their skin feel greasy. Baby oil can be used to massage your baby's skin, or to help loosen any dry, flaky skin.
- Cradle cap lotion is a type of baby lotion that's specifically designed for treating cradle cap, a condition that causes scaly patches on a baby's scalp. Cradle cap lotion can help to soothe and moisturize your baby's skin, and it may also help to reduce the appearance of cradle cap.
- Baby powder can be used to absorb excess moisture from your baby's skin, or to prevent diaper rash. It can be used after a bath, and when nappy changing to dust your baby's bottom before putting on a clean nappy, as this can help to prevent diaper rash. Baby powder is safe to use on babies, but only if you're using it correctly. It can be a choking hazard if inhaled. Only apply it to areas where it's needed, and be sure to keep it out of your baby's face and mouth.
Can you get natural baby lotions and powders?
Yes, there are plenty of natural baby skincare products available. Look for products that are made with natural ingredients and are free from synthetic fragrances, dyes, and other harsh chemicals.
Do I need to use sunscreen on my baby?
It's important to use forms of sun protection for your baby if they're going to be spending time outside, as their skin is very sensitive and can easily burn.
- For babies under six months, sunscreen is not recommended by the Australian Cancer Council and the New Zealand Cancer Society. Instead, keep them in the shade, and use protective hats, clothes, and appropriate covers for their prams or strollers.
- For babies over six months, choose a sunscreen with an SPF rating that meets AS/NZ safety standards, and apply it to any exposed areas of skin as per the instructions.