Choose a bassinet that will help your baby sleep through the night
What is a bassinet?
A bassinet is a small bed, often on wheels, for an infant. Bassinets are designed to keep babies close to their parents and may be used for sleeping or short periods of rest or play.
Bassinets are a popular choice for new parents, as they provide a safe and comfortable place for infants to sleep. However, bassinets come in a wide range of styles and prices, so it is important to do some research before purchasing one.
Another option that is becoming increasingly popular is a co-sleeper. A co-sleeper is very similar to a bassinet however allows for one or more of the side walls to be zipped down to be pushed firmly beside your mattress. This helps you see your baby with ease while laying in bed and can provide additional flexibility when needing to feed your baby throughout the night.
What are the different types of bassinets?
There are many different types of bassinets available on the market, each with its own set of features. Some common features include:
- Wheels: Many bassinets come with wheels, which can be handy for moving the bassinet from room to room.
- Canopy: A canopy can provide shade and privacy for an infant sleeping in a bassinet.
- Storage: Some bassinets come with storage baskets or shelves, which can be convenient for storing a baby's belongings.
- Mattress: It is important to choose a comfortable mattress for a bassinet. Some bassinets come with mattresses included, while others do not.
How much do bassinets cost?
Bassinets can range in price from around $100 to $1,000 or more. The cost of a bassinet will depend on the features and quality of the product. When considering the cost of a bassinet, it is important to remember that it is an investment that can be used for all of your newborn children over time but will be utilised for a short period, around 6 months per use.
What are the benefits of using a bassinet?
There are many benefits to using a bassinet, including:
- Bassinets keep babies close to their parents, which can be comforting for both the baby and the parents.
- Bassinets can be moved from room to room, making them convenient for use in multiple areas of the home.
- Bassinets take up less space than a cot, making them ideal for small homes or apartments.
How do I choose a bassinet?
When choosing a bassinet, there are several factors to consider, including:
- The size of the bassinet: Bassinets come in a range of sizes, so it is important to choose one that will be comfortable for your baby.
- The type of bassinet: There are many different types of bassinets available, so it is important to choose one that will suit your needs.
- The price of the bassinet: Bassinets can range in price, so it is important to set a budget before shopping.
- The features of the bassinet: Some bassinets come with additional features, such as wheels or storage baskets. Consider which features are most important to you before making a purchase.
- The quality of the bassinet: It is important to choose a high-quality bassinet that will last for several months. Be sure to read reviews before purchasing a bassinet.
What are the safety considerations for using a bassinet?
There are some safety considerations to keep in mind when using a bassinet, including:
- Bassinets should be used for infants under six months old.
- Bassinets should be placed on a firm, level surface.
- Bassinets should not be placed near windows, fireplaces, or other sources of heat.
- Bassinets should not be placed in direct sunlight.
- Bassinets should not be used if they are damaged or broken.
How long does a baby stay in a bassinet?
Most babies outgrow their bassinets by around four to six months old. However, some babies may be able to use a bassinet for longer if they are small or have special needs. You should stop using a bassinet when your baby outgrows it or when it is no longer safe to use. Most bassinets are only suitable for use during the first few months of a baby's life.