Keep Your Baby Safe in Bed!
What are baby safety rails?
Baby safety rails are devices that are placed on the sides of a cot, bassinet, your baby's first toddler bed, or playpen to help prevent a baby from falling out. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes, and some can even be used with adult beds.
Why are baby safety rails important?
Falling is one of the leading causes of injuries in young children. And, while a fall from a bed might not seem like a big deal to an adult, it can be extremely dangerous for a baby. That's why baby safety rails and baby bed safety is such an important part of childproofing your home.
How do I choose the right baby safety rail?
When choosing a baby safety rail, you'll want to consider the following factors:
- The size of the bed: You'll need to make sure that the rail you choose is the right size for the bed. Otherwise, it won't do its job properly.
- The height of the bed: You'll also want to take into account the height of the bed. If the rail is too low, your child might be able to climb over it. On the other hand, if it's too high, they might not be able to reach it if they fall out of bed.
- The type of bed: There are different types of baby bedy rails available for different types of beds, including toddler bed rails. For example, there are rails specifically designed for cots, bassinets, your baby's first toddler bed, and playpens.
What are some features of baby safety rails?
Some features that you might want to look for in a baby safety rail include:
- Easy installation: You'll want to choose a rail that's easy to install. After all, the last thing you want is to struggle with putting it together while your child is trying to climb out of bed.
- Adjustability: Some rails are adjustable, so you can make them taller or shorter as your child grows. This can be a nice feature to have, especially if you plan on using the rail for more than one child.
- Portability: If you travel frequently or if you have relatives who might watch your child from time to time, you might want to choose a rail that's easy to take with you. Some rails even come with carrying bags, so they're even easier to transport.
- Durability: You'll want to make sure that the rail you choose is durable and will last for years to come. After all, you don't want to have to replace it every few months.
What other items do I need for baby safety in the home?
In addition to a baby safety rail, there are a few other items you might want to consider purchasing to help keep your child safe at home. These include:
- Baby gates: Baby gates can be used to block off areas of your home that you don't want your child to have access to. For example, you might use a gate to keep them away from the stairs.
- Baby monitors: Baby monitors can give you some peace of mind by letting you listen in on your child while they're sleeping or playing in another room.
- Power point covers: If you have young children in your home, it's a good idea to cover up any unused electrical outlets. That way, they won't be tempted to stick something into the socket and risk getting electrocuted.
- Cabinet and drawer locks: It's also a good idea to install locks on any cabinets or drawers that contain potentially dangerous items, such as cleaners or medicines. That way, your child won't be able to get to them even if they manage to open the door or drawer.