Choose A Comfortable Maternity Bra
What is a maternity bra?
A maternity bra is a bra that has been specifically designed to provide support and comfort to women who are pregnant or nursing. These bras typically have wider straps, more support around the sides and back, and may be made from softer materials. Some maternity bras also feature built-in support panels that can help lift the breasts and prevent them from sagging.
What are the benefits of wearing a maternity bra?
Wearing specially designed bras can offer you many benefits during maternity, including:
- Additional support: As your breasts grow during pregnancy, they may become heavier and more sensitive. A good maternity bra can help to support your breasts and take some of the weight off your back and shoulders.
- Comfort: Maternity bras are designed to be comfortable, with features like wider straps and soft fabrics.
- Preventing sagging: Some maternity bras feature built-in support panels that can help lift the breasts and prevent them from sagging.
- Nursing convenience: If you plan on breastfeeding your baby, look for a maternity bra with easy-access cup flaps that can be opened with one hand. This will make it easier to nurse your baby without having to remove your entire bra.
Are there differences between maternity bras and nursing bras?
Yes, there are some differences between maternity bras and nursing bras, but they are often combined in one garment. Comfortable maternity bras are typically designed for pregnancy and early motherhood, while nursing bras are designed specifically for the needs of breastfeeding mothers.
Can you get strapless maternity bras?
Yes, strapless maternity bras are available. These can be a good option if you want to wear clothing that shows your shoulders or need extra support around the bust without straps. Look for a maternity bra with wide side panels and a band that stays in place to prevent the bra from slipping down.
Can you get seamless maternity bras in stretchy fabrics?
Yes, seamless maternity bras are available in stretchy fabrics that conform to your changing shape. These stretchy maternity bras are often made from microfiber or other synthetic materials that are smooth and comfortable against the skin. Look for seamless maternity bras with wide straps and a band that stays in place to provide support without digging into your skin.
Can you wear a normal bra when you're pregnant?
Most women can continue to wear their regular bras throughout pregnancy, but some may need to switch to a maternity bra as their breasts begin to grow. Many are designed to also be nursing bras, which can be worn after baby is born and you are ready to start breastfeeding. Nursing bras have special features like flaps or clips that allow easy access for nursing.
What other maternity clothing is good to have when you're pregnant?
Other good maternity clothing items to have on hand include:
- Maternity underwear: Look for underwear or panties with a high waistband that can be worn over the belly or under the bump.
- Maternity leggings or trousers: A comfortable pair of leggings or trousers can be worn during pregnancy and after baby is born. Look for a pair with a wide waistband that can be worn over the
- Flowy Maternity dresses and tops: Wearing dresses and tops that are loose-fitting and have some stretch to them can be very comfortable during pregnancy.
- Cardigans: A cardigan can be worn over a dress or top to add an extra layer of warmth. Look for one that hits at the hip or below to provide coverage for your growing belly.
- Belly bands or belts to help support your growing belly
- Nursing tank tops or maternity tops with built-in bras: These can be worn during pregnancy and after baby is born for nursing convenience.
- Soft, comfortable sleepwear: Look for maternity sleepwear that is made from soft, comfortable fabrics. Maternity Pyjama sets with a tank top and shorts or pants are a good option.